March 21st, 2012
03-18-12 Richard Burke
2 Corinthians 5:17-20 17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here! 18 All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation: 19 that God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting people’s sins against them. And he has committed to us the message of reconciliation.
I am the US.
He has already given you the ministry of reconciliation.
2 Corinthians 5:20 We are therefore Christ’s ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore you on Christ’s behalf: Be reconciled to God. (NIV)
“Christ Ambassadors” the Greek words are “Christoi Apostoli”.
The first letter of Christoi is the Greek letter X (“Chi”)
The first letter of Apostoli is the letter A (“Alpha”).
Why does God call us to evangelize?
2 Typical Answers:
1. Because God said to…
2. Because God needs me to…
1 Corinthians 9:19-23 19 Though I am free and belong to no one, I have made myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. 20 To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. 21 To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law), so as to win those not having the law. 22 To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some. 23 I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings. (NIV)
Paul seems genuinely excited to do all he can to share Christ with people. Why?
So that he may share in the blessings of God!
1 Thessalonians 1:6-8 6 You became imitators of us and of the Lord, for you welcomed the message in the midst of severe suffering with the joy given by the Holy Spirit. 7 And so you became a model to all the believers in Macedonia and Achaia. 8 The Lord’s message rang out from you not only in Macedonia and Achaia—your faith in God has become known everywhere. (NIV)
God wants you to be an imitator and a model of Jesus.
NEXT STEP: I WILL SEEK OUT THE AREAS IN MY LIFE WHERE I NEED TO BE A BETTER IMITATOR AND MODEL OF JESUS.
As a witness, the only thing you have to stand on is your credibility.
Acts 1:8 “You will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, Judea and Samaria, and the rest of the world. (NIV)
We share our faith because it makes us more like Jesus.
NEXT STEP: I WILL BEGIN TO SHARE MY FAITH WITH OTHERS BECAUSE I WANT TO KNOW GOD BETTER.
Community Group and Family Devotional Questions
1. Read 2 Corinthians 5:17-20. What words in these verses stand out to you? Why?
2. What is the “ministry of reconciliation” that you have been given? Is it something that you “feel” or something that you “do”?
3. What does it mean to have the responsibility of being an imitator and model of Jesus? How do we become more like Jesus?
4. Are there areas of your life that you feel like God is challenging you to change to become more like Jesus?
5. Who are some people in your life that you are around often, that need to know Jesus? How is it hard to imitate Jesus when you are around them?
6. Share any stories of people you have led to Jesus with your community group. Did your words line up with your actions towards this person?